Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What do conference delegates really want?

Just as an add-on to the post below, I think that product placement at these types of conferences is becoming pervasive - just look at the number of Social Media and Blogging conferences where the sponsors are also the speakers.

There are quite a few coming up in 2006 - some good - more wannabes.

I was looking at the 'Blogs and Social media Forum' in May - I was thinking of going but it seems to be a bunch of vendors pitching the audience - program seems a bit tired. The pharmaceutical, finance and IT industries are great at setting up conferences to promote themselves.

I am not hitting on these guys (my good buddy Euan is also speaking) but c'mon - I'm looking for impact - not how to make my blog rank high in Technorati. (OK - that was unjust but you know what I mean)

I want to see a social media conference that has social engineers, anthropologists and people working in international development or 3rd world projects; not VCs, Web 2.0 has-beens and the big media boys. I want to hear from linguists or from those measuring gender indicators - certainly religious, military and social informatics types.

Throw in a psychologist, a farmer and a criminologist - now that would make a great conference.

This is where I'll learn something more than just where to spend my budget.

After.the.fact: Read the review from Suw Charman - it supports my comments above and below. Got lots of emails on this one but sorry, Suw got it right.

1 Comments:

Blogger J David Galipeau said...

Sorry Euan - I was away getting blasted on the week-end .... I was playing with Technorati labels lately so it may have been lost for a few hours).

Nothing personal, obviously, but there are so many conferences that have the word BLOG in them - my fear is that the hype will turn into super hype and the credability of these blogs will fall. The numbers (both at wemedia and other reports that I have seen) shows that blogs are loosing credability - perhaps that is exactly what the big media boys want .......

11:25 AM, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home